WWWS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Latest imagesLatest images  Search  KDR  Register  Log in  

Initial Research supporting use of Computers & Internet

Go down 
AuthorMessage
C1
Admin
C1

Initial Research supporting use of Computers & Internet Empty
PostSubject: Initial Research supporting use of Computers & Internet   Initial Research supporting use of Computers & Internet EmptySat 24 Sep 2011, 3:02 pm

Norbert Weiner's PhD thesis (1912) showed that an infinite collection of ordered pairs is definable.

Quote :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norbert_Wiener
The next year he returned to Harvard, while still continuing his philosophical studies. Back at Harvard, Wiener became influenced by Edward Vermilye Huntington, whose mathematical interests ranged from axiomatic foundations to engineering problems. Harvard awarded Wiener a Ph.D. in 1912, when he was merely 17 years old, for a dissertation on mathematical logic, supervised by Karl Schmidt, the essential results of which were published as Wiener (1914). In that dissertation, he was the first to state publicly that ordered pairs can be defined in terms of elementary set theory. Hence relations can be defined by set theory, thus the theory of relations does not require any axioms or primitive notions distinct from those of set theory. In 1921, Kazimierz Kuratowski proposed a simplification of Wiener's definition of ordered pairs, and that simplification has been in common use ever since.

This was the basis for moving forward with the development of binary digital systems (zeros & ones), and transistor switches (off & on). For, it meant that a system built upon this concept would be ordered, definable, and therefore predictable and controllable.

Hence, we now have a global information system built upon this concept, with the goal for this system to practically replace Nature, which is NOT ordered and therefore NOT predictable and NOT controllable (i.e. Weiner showed that they could build a system that thwarted Godel's findings).

Back to top Go down
https://wwws.forummotion.com
C1
Admin
C1

Initial Research supporting use of Computers & Internet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Initial Research supporting use of Computers & Internet   Initial Research supporting use of Computers & Internet EmptySat 24 Sep 2011, 3:10 pm

P.S. I really wonder if "Karl Schmidt" (Weiner's professor) is related to Carl Schmidt (Google CEO)? I can't find any evidence of this, but my hunch says that they are related.

Back to top Go down
https://wwws.forummotion.com

Initial Research supporting use of Computers & Internet
Page 1 of 1