Home  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  KDR  Register  Log in  

Share | 

A Serious Man - Another Coen Bros America is Crashing Metaphorical Movie

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
C1
Admin

PostSubject: A Serious Man - Another Coen Bros America is Crashing Metaphorical Movie   Fri 23 Nov 2012, 9:15 pm

Some key quote that give away the theme...

Message 1: The public will never understand what is happening to them, so give up and just live your life.

Larry Gopnik: The Uncertainty Principle. It proves we can't ever really know... what's going on. So it shouldn't bother you. Not being able to figure anything out. Although you will be responsible for this on the mid-term.

Message 2
: You won't find any solice in God

Larry Gopnik: Please. I need help. I've already talked to the other rabbis. Please. It's not about Danny's bar mitzvah - my boy Danny, this coming Shabbos, very joyous event, that's all fine. It's, it's more about myself, I've... I've had quite a bit of tsuris lately. Marital problems, professional, you name it. This is not a frivolous request. This is a ser- I'm a ser- I'm, uh, I've tried to be a serious man, you know? Tried to do right, be a member of the community, raise the- Danny, Sarah, they both go to school, Hebrew school, a good breakfast... Well, Danny goes to Hebrew school, Sarah doesn't have time, she mostly... washes her hair. Apparently there are several steps involved, but you don't have to tell Marshak that. Just tell him I need help. Please? I need *help*.
[the secretary rises, goes to the door behind her, opens it, shuffles into the dimness where she speaks quietly with the aged rabbi, who is idle. She shuffles back, closes the door and sits down]
Marshak's Secretary: The rabbi is busy.
Larry Gopnik: He didn't look busy!
Marshak's Secretary: He's thinking.

Message 3: It's all lies, and when you finally figure that out what are you going to do? You're soul will be crushed and you'll simply go back to drowning yourself in mindless media (in this case, referring to the band Jefferson Airplane)

Rabbi Marshak: When the truth is found. To be lies.
[the rabbi clears his throat]
Rabbi Marshak: And all the hope. Within you dies. Then what?
[the rabbi clears his throat again]
Rabbi Marshak: Grace Slick. Marty Balin. Paul Kanta. Jorma...
Danny Gopnik: Kaukonen.
Rabbi Marshak: ...something. These are the membas of the Airplane. Interesting. Here.
[He gives Danny back his radio]
Rabbi Marshak: Be a good boy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1019452/quotes

I fucking hate the Coen Brothers. Their just Hollywood front men that have never written a word of any script attributed to them. It's all been done by groups of PhD's at various think tanks.

View user profile http://wwws.forummotion.com
C1
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Serious Man - Another Coen Bros America is Crashing Metaphorical Movie   Mon 26 Nov 2012, 6:12 pm

It's 1967 and the shit is hitting the fan for the main character, everyone around him lies and deceives, yet he continues to try and honor his soul, then he dies and the country does as well.

If you watch that final scene , the camera points to the American flag blowing in the wind as a huge storm builtds, and one of the child characters says something like... that flag is going to get ripped right off that pole

Evil is the moment when I lack the strength to be true to the Good that compels me.

Alain Badiou

View user profile http://wwws.forummotion.com

A Serious Man - Another Coen Bros America is Crashing Metaphorical Movie
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1