Home  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  KDR  Register  Log in  

Share | 

Simulacrum "YOU" Ad Campaigns Commence

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
C1
Admin

PostSubject: Simulacrum "YOU" Ad Campaigns Commence   Mon 09 Nov 2009, 1:07 pm

HTC & Yahoo! have separately embarked on enormous global advertising campaigns focusing on "YOU."

Yahoo!'s Campaign

HTC's Campaign

I'll post more in this thread later, but just look at the HTC tagline: "A Phone that Gets You." Now, 'Gets' can be interepreted in at least 2-ways. First, it can be meant to mean 'understanding,' as in 'understands you.' But secondly, 'get' can also mean to 'acquire' you or 'suck you in.'

When I view the TV commercial from HTC, it doesn't take long to see which 'Get' they seek. For the ad clearly shows that the advertiser doesn't really care what your doing or what emotion you are attempting to reconcile, they simply seek that you engage in that activity via their Simulacrum.

When I have some more time, I'll search out the marketing press releases and see what the advertisers have to say about these campaigns, and what we can infer from their comments.

But my kneejerk reaction is that the push is really on now to bring the public further into the simulacrum, where YOU operate inside the world wide web of simulacrum more than YOU operate outside of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wwws.forummotion.com
C1
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Simulacrum "YOU" Ad Campaigns Commence   Mon 09 Nov 2009, 1:24 pm

And here's the TV Commercial from Yahoo!

Come here little boyz and girlz, we have some really good candy for you inside our Simulacrum. Just come inside and you can play in our world.

If you haven't seen the new movie Surrogates yet, then I suggest watching that and comparing the world depicted in the movie with this current ad campaign. The differences are minimal.
Back to top Go down
C1
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Simulacrum "YOU" Ad Campaigns Commence   Mon 09 Nov 2009, 3:48 pm

and here's a service available so you can avatarize yourself for a more real experience inside the Simulacrum

http://www.zwinky.com/
Back to top Go down
LindyLady

PostSubject: Re: Simulacrum "YOU" Ad Campaigns Commence   Tue 10 Nov 2009, 1:58 pm

It's pretty clear that they want us to invest more and more of ourselves inside the World Wide Web, and as you've pointed out, these ad campaigns clearly expose that. I recall reading a post at RPF about Murdering Reality. Well, I guess they are not murdering it, they are simply replacing nature with a virtual reality that they can more easily control.

Can you imagine what will happen to someone in the future if they simply cut off their Internet access. It could be an immediate severing of ones livelihood, access to friends, banking, entertainment, etc. That would be devestating for someone who is emersed in the Simulacra.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
They Live

PostSubject: Re: Simulacrum "YOU" Ad Campaigns Commence   Thu 12 Nov 2009, 1:55 am

Where are the flying cars that ran on renewable energy that they promised us? This World Wide "You" BS is not what I thought we we're going to get out of the deal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Simulacrum "YOU" Ad Campaigns Commence   

Back to top Go down

Simulacrum "YOU" Ad Campaigns Commence
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1