WWWS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Latest imagesLatest images  Search  KDR  Register  Log in  

Constructing a Social Science for Postwar America

Go down 
AuthorMessage
C1
Admin
C1

Constructing a Social Science for Postwar America Empty
PostSubject: Constructing a Social Science for Postwar America   Constructing a Social Science for Postwar America EmptyTue 01 Nov 2011, 9:35 pm

Constructing a Social Science for Postwar America: The Cybernetics Group, 1946-1953 (Paperback)
~ Steve Joshua Heims
http://www.amazon.com/Constructing-Social-Science-Postwar-America/dp/026258123X

Review

"The story told by this book is fascinating."
Martin Sbubik, Science

"This impressive text ... is really about interdisciplinary science and creative thinking... Laced throughout is a clear description of how politics and personalities affect the formulation of scientific thought... [It] accurately and completely presents scientific ideas while it maintains compelling readability. It is ideal collateral reading for any science coursProduct Descriptione.
G. William Troxler, Science Books & Films

Product Description
Originally published in 1991 in cloth as The Cybernetics Group

Reader Comment

Top minds trying to find common ground, July 20, 2009
By Bruce P. Barten (Saint Paul, MN United States)

I have only seen a hardcover copy of this book from 1991. Many of the issues that others have brought to my attention in my lifetime were put in specific professional frames of reference in this book. As history, I'm afraid it strives for the kind of understanding that will totally escape a TV culture nation of shoppers spending itself into a plastic financial hole. Those who would like to see the background which allowed Michel Foucault to emerge as an expert in the way civilized society attempts to deal with people who are considered mad by people who no longer function well together would benefit from the context in which professionals who had compteting responsibilites could observe each other trying the same aspects of psychotic multiplicity on each other again and again without finding the kind of resolution any sane society would insist upon. Foucault gets quoted and mentioned as a frame of reference suitable in 1991 for understanding issues raised in Macy conferences and subsequent papers by the outstanding participants.

Back to top Go down
https://wwws.forummotion.com

Constructing a Social Science for Postwar America
Page 1 of 1