WWWS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Latest imagesLatest images  Search  KDR  Register  Log in  

Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
C1
Admin
C1

Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World Empty
PostSubject: Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World   Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World EmptyThu 04 Aug 2011, 1:00 am

A bit dated but very much relevant.

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Control-Biology-Machines-Economic/dp/0201483408

Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World 51sanBKhx-L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_

This book tellls us the truth about where we're headed, but then tries to make the fake-argument that no-one will be in control of this sytem that we're creating.

Again, this is a cheap book worth reading.

Back to top Go down
https://wwws.forummotion.com
ScoutsHonor

ScoutsHonor

Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World   Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World EmptyThu 04 Aug 2011, 1:34 pm

FROM an Amazon.com REVIEWER:

Most Helpful Customer Reviews
70 of 72 people found the following review helpful:
4.0 out of 5 stars Painful but thought provoking evaluation of complex systems, February 1, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World (Paperback)_________________________________________________________________________________________

"This is the best badly written book I have read lately. Kelly's book provides an enthusiastic reflection on the evolution of complex systems, full of vivid images and provocative metaphors, yet one can't avoid the impression he wrote it down as he thought of it. Kelly is a magazine editor (Wired) and his book comes across like a 475-page magazine article -- whenever he decides to change directions mid-chapter, he simply inserts a rosette and moves on. This book and its readers would have been well served by passing the text through the hands of a demanding book editor -- the result would have been a text about 150 pages shorter and much clearer. It also would have been helpful to have had the text proofread -- I nearly tore up the book reading over and over his confused expression "hone in on", an illiterate cross between "hone" and "home in on." I don't know Kelly's educational background. Reading his book I get the impression that his formal credentials are minimal but that he's very good at finding smart people and following them around. The result is a book that chronicles the development of this field while communicating his fascination with complex concepts he just barely understands, and his dilletante's infatuation with the jargon that describes it. The ideas in this book, and particularly the juxtapositions of ideas that Kelly assembles, are well worth reading about. But a better approach might be to skim the book, noting authors and titles, and then go straight to the source material listed at length in the back."
------------------------------------------------------
My NOTE:
This terrific putdown really pleased me a lot! LOLoL. (shades of schadenfraude (sp?)!! The author is SO eminently hateable, per se! He's one of the charter members of what I call their "scruffy chic" club (the "Ted" group)......YUCK.

I'm going to order the book of course -- it looks "interesting", in the usual macabre way that all of their stuff is interesting. :-( And I am very curious.....

Thanks for this post,,C1. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
C1
Admin
C1

PostSubject: Re: Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World   Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World EmptySun 07 Aug 2011, 7:36 pm

ScoutsHonor wrote:
My NOTE:
This terrific putdown really pleased me a lot! LOLoL. (shades of schadenfraude (sp?)!! The author is SO eminently hateable, per se! He's one of the charter members of what I call their "scruffy chic" club (the "Ted" group)......YUCK.
Do you think they deliberately make authors such as this distasteful and hateable? ..... so people won't read it. If that's the case, they can always say later that 'they to you so'

Back to top Go down
ScoutsHonor

ScoutsHonor

PostSubject: Re: Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World   Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World EmptyTue 09 Aug 2011, 8:44 am

C1 wrote:
ScoutsHonor wrote:
My NOTE:
Do you think they deliberately make authors such as this distasteful and hateable? ..... so people won't read it. If that's the case, they can always say later that 'they to you so'

Sort of a "Revelation of the Method" strategy? Hmmm...I souldn't be a bit surprised, knowing their so-called 'reasoning' !!

Interesting --that even the WORST of men seem to need to believe they are following some kind of moral code....!
Back to top Go down
C1
Admin
C1

PostSubject: Re: Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World   Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World EmptyWed 10 Aug 2011, 3:30 pm

Yup, you got it. Their moral code is anything but moral.

Back to top Go down
C1
Admin
C1

PostSubject: Re: Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World   Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World EmptyWed 08 Feb 2012, 12:51 am

Great reading the initial parts on the HIVE Mind

Author uses example of a vortex in water, how the molecules act together to form the vortex, but don't know that they are forming a vortex.

This is the science that they are employing at a societal level, where individual actions become irrelevant, and the system behaves according to design irrespective of how the people in that system (ie Agents in a Complex Adaptive System) behave.

The needed a tightly connected network of people behaving like a mob, and sufficient media inputs into these networks, to create such a system. Well, with the Internet, TV, media outlets like Google, Facebook & Twitter, they now have the ability to create mob behavior of "Simple Agents" in a societal system... I think you can see this outcome everywhere when you look for it.

Anyway, highly recommend chapter on Hive Mind, and I think anyone can understand it.

Back to top Go down
ScoutsHonor

ScoutsHonor

PostSubject: Re: Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World   Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World EmptyWed 08 Feb 2012, 2:47 pm

OK, going to read that chapter presently.

BTW, I really detest that phrase; IMO, it's totally irrational & illogical, and, naturally, a favorite meme of the Evil Ones.
Back to top Go down
C1
Admin
C1

PostSubject: Re: Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World   Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World EmptySat 11 Feb 2012, 12:13 am

do u have the book?

He has a new book out..
What Tech Wants.
http://www.amazon.com/What-Technology-Wants-Kevin-Kelly/dp/0670022152

I haven't seen it yet, but it's on my list.

Back to top Go down
ScoutsHonor

ScoutsHonor

PostSubject: Re: Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World   Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World EmptySat 11 Feb 2012, 2:10 pm

Yah, I do have the book. Very Happy
Am reading it now (read 3/4 of the Hive Mind chapter) and some of the following one.

He writes well, I think...but only when he's not trying to smuggle in a wildly irrational concept and hoping it will pass by calling it "emergent".
Hey, we didn't just fall off the turnip truck Mr. Kelly! Laughing

I imagine the new book will probably be more of the same...the poisonous meme (idea) they are pushing so hard. Damn freaks.

Last edited by ScoutsHonor on Tue 14 Feb 2012, 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
C1
Admin
C1

PostSubject: Re: Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World   Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World EmptyTue 14 Feb 2012, 12:12 am

What sickens me is that they want to turn us into "simple agents" in a complex model, like bees in a swarm, birds in a flock, or water molecules flushing down a toilet. All of Jefferson's discussions about individuality is being flushed into the gutter.

Back to top Go down
ScoutsHonor

ScoutsHonor

PostSubject: Re: Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World   Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World EmptyTue 14 Feb 2012, 2:11 pm

C1, they cannot turn us into anything that we are not. We are not mindless bees, acting on instinct, ditto re birds, nor certainly not 'water molecules' -- no matter how much their diseased brains would wish to make any of that so.

But evil/insanity *is* a very ugly thing to have to see, because they seem to be of our very own species yet they are unbelievably *ugly and deformed* -- it is very frightening that humans could reach their inhuman depths..

My only solution is to look to the humans I'm able to love and admire, like Jefferson, Ellul, and many others. Then the world looks livable again, to me; and I can breathe.
And maybe, just maybe, we will see something wonderful and supernatural, working for the good. That's what I devoutly hope! (& this is from an agnostic Smile)

Back to top Go down
C1
Admin
C1

PostSubject: Re: Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World   Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World EmptySun 19 Feb 2012, 8:00 pm

I hope you're right.

But I see lots of drones walking America's cities, who are constantly being manipulated by social peer pressures, flows of information from media, and a deep seeded selfishness installed thru years of institutional programming.

After year of not... I nowI believe in God, and while I try to retain faith, I have very little hope that something will take us off our current course.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World   Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World Empty

Back to top Go down

Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, & the Economic World
Page 1 of 1