WWWS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Latest imagesLatest images  Search  KDR  Register  Log in  

The singulariy is here : Nanotechnology creating superhumans

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
weeping oak

weeping oak

The singulariy is here : Nanotechnology creating superhumans Empty
PostSubject: The singulariy is here : Nanotechnology creating superhumans   The singulariy is here : Nanotechnology creating superhumans EmptyTue 13 Jul 2010, 12:00 pm

hi, i'm new here....

I've recently noticed a huge surge of news on nanotechnology in the last few years, Ray Kurzweil one of the leading scientists in Nanotechnology keeps popping up in the news and publications. Kurzweil talks about how this singulariy is the next step in evolution for mankind. He may just be some deluded dreamer, but i find it strange how much media attention his ideas are getting recently. So many new age and occult perspectives talk about how we are approaching a time when we are about to take a huge evolutionary leap as humans....maybe this is how???? plus, there are so many artists who do the trans-humanism garbage, such as christina aguleria's bionic.This could also potentially make certain people physicaly mindless drones in society. They've done it in worms already!

I'm not saying this is what will happen, but it may be a possibility.....

check this out:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jun/4/singularity-is-here/

Quote :
He speaks nine languages, taught himself Icelandic in a week and invented his own language he calls Manti. The 31-year-old autistic savant does complex celestial computations in seconds and can see hundreds of numbers on a blackboard once and recite them in the correct sequence minutes later.

Daniel Tammet possesses synesthesia. Not only does he see numbers, he also feels them. He is one in hundreds of millions, as he demonstrated on ABC's "20/20" this week. But when the "singularity" arrives - that moment in history when the supercomputer capable of trillions of moves per second will have reached parity with the human brain, capable of feelings, from bereavement to passion to anger - countless millions of people will be like Mr. Tammet.

"The Singularity Is Near: A True Story About the Future," a documentary film by inventor and futurist Ray Kurzweil, will have its world premiere June 12 at the Breckenridge Film Festival in Colorado. Mr. Kurzweil predicts that with the ever-accelerating rate of technological change, "humanity is fast approaching an era in which our intelligence will become trillions of times more powerful and increasingly merged with computers."

Mr. Kurzweil sees "the dawning of a new civilization, enabling us to transcend our biological limitations." Boundaries blur between human and machine, real and virtual. Human aging and illness are reversed, he says, world hunger and poverty are solved, and "we cure death."

Too late for BP and the untold billions it will have to shell out (no pun intended) to compensate hundreds of thousands of resort operators, condominium owners robbed of their beachfront retirement, and men and women deprived of their livelihood at sea. But when the singularity arrives, such human miscalculations will be a thing of the past.

Bill Gates says "Kurzweil is the best person I know at predicting the future, in which information technologies have advanced so far and fast that they enable humanity to transcend its biological limitations - transforming our lives in ways we can only imagine," unless we have a connection at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. Already, banks of coupled supercomputers have managed 1 quadrillion - 1,000 trillion - operations per second.

The Breckenridge documentary features Mr. Kurzweil examining the social and philosophical implications of these "profound changes and the potential threats they pose to human civilization in dialogues with big thinkers," including former White House counterterrorism chief Richard A. Clarke; technologists Bill Joy, Mitch Kapor, Marvin Minsky, Eric Drexler, Sherry Turkle and Cynthia Breazeal; "Future Shock" author Alvin Toffler; civil liberties lawyer Alan Dershowitz; venture capitalist Vinod Khosla; and environmentalist Bill McKibben.

Mr. Kurzweil enjoys a 20-year track record of accurate predictions. Forbes magazine described him as the "rightful heir to Thomas Edison" and "the ultimate thinking machine." He holds 19 honorary doctorates and is also the recipient of awards from three U.S. presidents.

Getting from here to where Mr. Kurzweil sees us in 20 to 30 years is a formidable obstacle course with still-faulty human judgment. Self-made billionaire Pete Peterson says, "We're in the throes of an animalistic, carnivorous culture of greed" that may yet prove correct Karl Marx's forecast 161 years ago when he said "capitalism will sow the seeds of its own destruction" by widening the gap between workers and "capitalists."

The $1 trillion Iraq war proved a huge distraction from the real problems of the United States, e.g., a collapsing infrastructure, from airports to air traffic control to schools to roads to bridges to water and sewage pipes (more than 100 years old in the nation's capital). With a little luck, the United States and its allies may move Afghanistan from a medieval tribal society to a more recent century, but is that worth another trillion dollars?

Also, Ray Kurzweil had an article in Rolling Stone in Feb 2009. He says by 2045, man will create microscopic mini robots that will be much smarter than us, allowing us to live forever and it will turn the universe into a conscious robotic entity.Sadly, the only version of the article I could find was a pdf, but you can read it here.

thoughts?
Back to top Go down
weeping oak

weeping oak

PostSubject: Re: The singulariy is here : Nanotechnology creating superhumans   The singulariy is here : Nanotechnology creating superhumans EmptyTue 13 Jul 2010, 12:19 pm

I realize that I should have posted this in the 'science' section, whoops...

anyways, here's another article i found:

Quote :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7258105.stm

Virtuality and Reality 'to merge'

Computers the size of blood cells will create fully immersive virtual realities by 2033, leading inventor Ray Kurzweil has predicted.

Exponential growth in processing power and the shrinking of technology would see the development of microscopic computers, he said.

"We will see a billion-fold increase in the price-performance of computers in the next 25 years," he said.

"Virtual will compete with reality," he told the Game Developers Conference.

Pea-sized computer

Mr Kurzweil said it was possible to accurately predict the growth and change in computing power by looking at how it had developed over the last 50 years.

"There will be a 100,000-fold shrinking of computer technology over the next 25 years," he said.

"Today you can put a pea-sized computer inside your brain, if you have Parkinson's disease and want to replace the biological neurons that were destroyed by the disease."

He said a billion-fold increase in computing performance and capability over the next 25 years coupled with the 100,000 fold shrinking, would lead to "blood cell-size devices... that can go inside our bodies and keep us healthy and inside our brain and expand our intelligence".

He said the blood cell computers would be able to "produce full immersion virtual reality from inside the nervous system".

People have more freedom in virtual worlds
He said the games industry had to be thinking about the future development of computing now.

"The games industry fits in well with the acceleration of progress; in no other industry do you feel that more than games."

Mr Kurzweil, who invented the flat bed scanner and text-to-speech synthesis, said the virtual world was a misnomer.

"In virtual worlds we do real romance, real learning, real business. Virtual reality is real reality."

He added: "Games are the cutting edge of what is happening - we are going to spend more of our time in virtual reality environments.

"Fully emergent games is really where we want to go. We will do most of our learning through these massively parallel interactions."

"Play is how we principally learn and principally create," he said.

Back to top Go down
Guerrero

Guerrero

PostSubject: Re: The singulariy is here : Nanotechnology creating superhumans   The singulariy is here : Nanotechnology creating superhumans EmptyTue 13 Jul 2010, 12:44 pm

i'm pretty sure i've heard of this guy and have definitely heard of nanotechnology. but to me, this all sounds straight up luciferian.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The singulariy is here : Nanotechnology creating superhumans   The singulariy is here : Nanotechnology creating superhumans Empty

Back to top Go down

The singulariy is here : Nanotechnology creating superhumans
Page 1 of 1