Home  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  KDR  Register  Log in  

Share | 

AVATAR, The Movie (Opens the Pandora's Box Meme)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
C1
Admin

PostSubject: AVATAR, The Movie (Opens the Pandora's Box Meme)   Sat 14 Nov 2009, 2:58 am

First topic message reminder :

http://www.avatarmovie.com/

I'll talk later about my thoughts on the underlying messages of this new Jim Cameron movie. Right now, it's too late to formulate any cogent points. For now, here's a snippet about Pandora...

Quote :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora's_box

After Prometheus' theft of the secret of fire, Zeus ordered Hephaestus to create the woman Pandora as part of the punishment for mankind. Pandora was given many seductive gifts from Aphrodite, Hermes, Hera, Charites, and Horae (according to Works and Days). For fear of additional reprisals, Prometheus warned his brother Epimetheus not to accept any gifts from Zeus, but Epimetheus did not listen, and married Pandora. Pandora had been given a large jar and instruction by Zeus to keep it closed, but she had also been given the gift of curiosity, and ultimately opened it. When she opened it, all of the evils, ills, diseases, and burdensome labor that mankind had not known previously, escaped from the jar, but it is said, that at the very bottom of her box, there lay hope.

There's a lot of The Matrix meme in this movie. It's the same theme that shows up in the new Surrogates movie, as well as the older Lawnmower Man Stephen King flick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wwws.forummotion.com

AuthorMessage
LindyLady

PostSubject: Re: AVATAR, The Movie (Opens the Pandora's Box Meme)   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 4:56 am

ArtificialThought, interesting post. Video below (see approx 2.30) talks about TV reality causing an expectation of rapid images that makes real reality seem far too slow.

I wonder if the "depressed" feelings have to do with deceleration of inputs experienced once the viewer leaves the theater.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
C1
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AVATAR, The Movie (Opens the Pandora's Box Meme)   Sun 17 Jan 2010, 2:21 pm

I betcha some of the programming from AVATAR is set to be "activiated" later....I wonder what the "triggers" will be?

I also wonder if some of the programming is being installed serially? For example, people who tend to see fantasy movies are actually going through a "programming" curriculum is they see each new movie that is released.
Back to top Go down
ScoutsHonor

PostSubject: Re: AVATAR, The Movie (Opens the Pandora's Box Meme)   Sun 17 Jan 2010, 3:06 pm

I'm seriously considering Not seeing this movie. Yep, I'm a scaredy-cat. LOL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ArtificialThought

PostSubject: Re: AVATAR, The Movie (Opens the Pandora's Box Meme)   Sun 17 Jan 2010, 3:31 pm

IP wrote:
I betcha some of the programming from AVATAR is set to be "activiated" later....I wonder what the "triggers" will be?

Oh the mysteries... I think I'm going to see it again now (more carefully) just 'cause you said that.

ScoutsHonor, grow up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ScoutsHonor

PostSubject: Re: AVATAR, The Movie (Opens the Pandora's Box Meme)   Sun 17 Jan 2010, 8:01 pm

Haha,
Must I?
DARNIT! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
incognito

PostSubject: Re: AVATAR, The Movie (Opens the Pandora's Box Meme)   Tue 19 Jan 2010, 5:25 pm

Isn't this interesting...?

source

Quote :
'Avatar' pulled from 1,628 Chinese movie screens

Last updated: January 19th, 2010 12:43 PM (PST)
LOS ANGELES - "Avatar" may be too popular for its own good in China.

The communist nation's state-run movie distributor, China Film Group, unexpectedly began pulling the blockbuster science-fiction picture from 1,628 2-D screens this week in favor of a biography of the ancient philosopher Confucius.

Paul Hanneman, co-president of international distribution for 20th Century Fox, the movie's distributor, confirmed the move, which the studio learned about Monday evening.

According to the Hong Kong newspaper Apple Daily, the switch was made at the urging of propaganda officials who are concerned that "Avatar" is taking too much market share from Chinese films and drawing unwanted attention to the sensitive issue of forced evictions.

Millions of Chinese have been uprooted to make way for high-rise buildings and government infrastructure projects in the fast-growing country. In "Avatar," human colonists try to demolish the village of an alien race to obtain a precious energy source buried under it.

Although losing the 2-D screens is a blow to the hugely successful "Avatar," which has grossed more than $1.6 billion around the world, it will not knock out the movie's primary revenue source in the country. Nearly 900 3-D screens in China have generated $49 million of its $76 million in ticket sales there so far, according to Fox. It's already the most successful movie of all time in the country, the studio said.

Calls to China Film Group were not returned.

(Fritz reported from Los Angeles and Pierson from Beijing.)

Originally published: January 18th, 2010 09:56 PM (PST)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
C1
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AVATAR, The Movie (Opens the Pandora's Box Meme)   Tue 19 Jan 2010, 6:44 pm

ArtificialThought wrote:
IP wrote:

Oh the mysteries... I think I'm going to see it again now (more carefully) just 'cause you said that.
I'm not. For me, it's just about getting away from THEIR inputs and creating my own.

ramallamamama wrote:
Isn't this interesting...?

Quote :
'Avatar' pulled from 1,628 Chinese movie screens
This is just like the Google tug-of-war in China. It's about who is going to control the surfs. The Chinese probably want to implant their own programming (with their own codes, queues and triggers) on to their population. If they let the western establishment control the programming triggers, the the Chinese surfs might just turn against the Chinese aristocracy. Wow, the war is really on now for control of the Chinese public.
Back to top Go down
Extant

PostSubject: Re: AVATAR, The Movie (Opens the Pandora's Box Meme)   Mon 25 Jan 2010, 6:54 am

Some interesting perspectives on the Avatar phenom. This meme is now becoming a memeplex all by itself, in, and of, itself. The occult backdrop related by Chris Knowles in the first article is important I feel, and in the second the commentary on Avatar as part of a revolutionary psychedelic cinematic paradigm is salient:

http://secretsun.blogspot.com/2010/01/avatar-or-superman-in-reverse.html

http://www.realitysandwich.com/avatar_psychedelic_worldview_3d
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AVATAR, The Movie (Opens the Pandora's Box Meme)   

Back to top Go down

AVATAR, The Movie (Opens the Pandora's Box Meme)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWWS :: Main Forums :: Culture & Media-
Jump to: