Home  FAQ  Search  Memberlist  Usergroups  KDR  Register  Log in  

Share | 

Paddy Chayefsky's 1971 Film: "The Hospital"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
C1
Admin

PostSubject: Paddy Chayefsky's 1971 Film: "The Hospital"   Sat 04 May 2013, 3:08 pm

Another great analysis of society from Chayefsky, the writer who is also responsible for films such as Network and The Americanization of Emily. In this case, Chayefsky clearly shows the audience where the medical industry is headed, and the challenges good smart individuals face (in this case, actor George C. Scott) in light of the insitutional momentum of a system designed to work against humanity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hospital

You can view the entire movie on Youtube (in parts). Here are two classic scenes....

View user profile http://wwws.forummotion.com
C1
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Paddy Chayefsky's 1971 Film: "The Hospital"   Sun 05 May 2013, 2:55 pm

"When I say impotent, I don't mean merely limp. Disagreeable as it may be for a woman, a man may lust for other things, something less transient than an erection, some sense of permanent worth. That's what medicine was to me, my reason for being. When I was 34, Miss Drummond, I presented a paper before the annual convention of the Society of Clinical Investigation that pioneered the whole goddamn field of lmmunology. A breakthrough! I'm in all the textbooks. I happen to be an eminent man, Miss Drummond. You know something else? I don't give a goddamn. When I say impotent I mean I've lost even my desire to work. That's a hell of a lot more primal passion than sex. I've lost my reason for being. My purpose. The only thing I ever truly loved. It is all rubbish, isn't it? Transplants, antibodies, we manufacture genes, we can produce birth ectogenetically, we can practically clone people like carrots, and half the kids in this ghetto haven't even been inoculated for polio! We have established the most enormous medical entity ever conceived and people are sicker than ever! We cure nothing! We heal nothing! The whole goddamn wretched world is strangulating in front of our eyes. That's what I mean when I say impotent."

View user profile http://wwws.forummotion.com

Paddy Chayefsky's 1971 Film: "The Hospital"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1